Russia’s Ministry of Defense said on June 5 that a major Ukrainian counteroffensive in Donetsk Oblast had been thwarted the day previous, claiming Russian forces killed some 250 troops and destroyed a number of armored vehicles.
Footage posted to Zvezda News, a channel linked to the ministry, showed military vehicles coming under fire. Storyful has verified at least two locations showing clashes near Storozheve and nearby Vremivka. Both are located in southern Donetsk, some 50 miles southwest of Donetsk city.
In a statement, the ministry said Ukraine had launched the “large-scale offensive” in the south Donetsk region. It said Ukrainian forces used six mechanized and two tank battalions, from which 250 personnel were killed, and 16 tanks, three infantry fighting vehicles, and 21 armored fighting vehicles destroyed, the ministry said.
Ukraine’s military said it had no information about a major attack in the region. A spokesperson told Reuters, “We do not have such information and we do not comment on any kind of fake.”
The exact date when the footage was filmed has not been independently verified.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said in an interview with the Wall Street Journal on June 3 that Ukraine was ready for its long-awaited counteroffensive, but gave no date for its start.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel: https://bit.ly/2TwO8Gm
Subscribe to Bloomberg Originals: https://www.youtube.com/BloombergTV
Bloomberg Quicktake brings you global social video spanning business, technology, politics and culture. Make sense of the stories changing your business and your world.
Connect with us on…
Breaking News on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@BloombergQuicktakeNow
Source: Bloomberg Quicktake